The European Commission (DG ENER) awarded Tender ENER/C1/2019-412 to a consortium composed of E4tech (Lead), Cerulogy, the ICCT, Navigant, SCS Global Services and Wageningen University & Research. The objective of this project is to assist the European Commission in the evaluation of biofuel feedstocks, which could be added to Annex IX of the Recast of the Renewable Energy Directive (EU 2018/2001), also known as “RED II”, following the process described in Article 28 of the Directive.
The project is divided into three Tasks:
1) Task 1 will establish a long list of potential biofuel feedstocks for inclusion in Annex IX and conduct a preliminary assessment of these feedstocks to produce a short list for further assessment. The long list and preliminary assessment are based on the consortium’s expertise, a literature review and the present stakeholder consultation. The final selection of the shortlist of feedstocks for consideration under Task 2 will be made by the Commission.
2) Task 2 will assess in detail each feedstock in the short list against the eligibility criteria described in Article (28) of RED II. The consortium will provide the European Commission with its conclusions with regards to whether each feedstock in the long list complies with the eligibility criteria.
3) In addition to the in-depth assessment conducted in Task 2, Task 3 will look specifically at the risk of fraud associated with support for the use of new and existing Annex IX feedstocks. Informed by consideration of documented cases of fraud, the consortium will establish a set of fraud risk indicators, and consider options available to mitigate identified fraud risks.
A Stakeholder Consultation was held between April 14 and May 27 to feed into Task 1 of the project. It specifically aimed to:
- Help identify any other potential feedstocks not yet included on the long list;
- Provide additional evidence and sources of information to support the assessment;
- Ensure transparency and inclusiveness;
- Enhance the robustness of results.
Inputs to the consultation have been used to finalise the short list of feedstocks to be evaluated in greater details in Task 2 and Task 3 of the project. A summary report of our first stakeholder consultation including the finalised short list is available here. This document summarises the process whereby feedstocks suggested during the first round were grouped in three distinct categories:
The second round of consultation was open until the 4th of September, 2020. Results from the first and second rounds of stakeholder consultation were presented in a webinar on the 16th of September 2020. The webinar slides can be downloaded from here. If you have any questions, please contact Consultation-AnnexIX@e4tech.com